Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SWAN model

Thanks
    nothing is complicated.
    thinking complicated is a real culprit.
    put effort to know and ask. there r experts who can solve ur prblem in SWAN user forum
    only two commands you need to follow.
    1. chmod 777 ./swanrun
    2. ./swanrun -input ..............
    here ............... refers your script file. e.g. abc.swn
    note: 1. you should not type .swn in second command.
    2. you can download all the sample files from SWAN home page and run them. e.g. refrac, diff,......

Thanks

Unhappy Compile swmod1?

Dear all,

I have recently tried how to compile by testing the FORTRAN compiler. I will tell you how I compile based on the FORTRAN tutorial (Lab1-Lab6) (correct me if I’m wrong).
    1) We write the program in text editor, let’s say- the crimson editor.
    2) Next, in command prompt, I type as follows:
    cd\F\York
    f2exe.Lab1
    Lab1

*Remark: F is the folder I put under C drive, and York is subfolder of F.

3) The program works. It will ask question like asking the user to input the temperature in Fahrenheit so it can convert to Centigrade.

So, For SWAN case, what I understand from the implementation manual is that swmod1.ftn and swmod2.ftn must be compiled FIRST. But I am not quite sure how to make it, i.e. by changing the extension of “.ftn” to “.for”—which works for the “Lab1” mentioned above (as it was in Lab1.FOR) form.
    Even though I have tried to save the swmod1.ftn in swmod1.for ( I change the file extension name myself , obviously, It FAILS!), but when I get back to command prompt, it just doesn’t work. Can anybody tell me that how to compile. My question might be very stupid but this is a sincere question from me. Thanks a lot!!

Thanks
    Hi Dear Oceanographers members

I need your help. please Could anyone give me response? my thesis can not go on without resolving this issue that I have.

Bathymetry file where land points were negative and wet points were possitive was edited. Finally, after the editted bathymetry file, swn file, and wnd file (wind field data) are prepared, they are all placed in the same directory. then SWAN was run in MS-DOS. all these files and output files are enclosed;

http://rapidshare.com/files/443584582/Swan_48.rar

I think that there is still a logical problem.

because, after SWAN was run in MS-DOS, SWAN generated real numbers for land points that they are negative in the bathymetry (input file). contrary to expectations, SWAN did not generated real numbers for wet points that they are possitive in the bathymetry (input file).

What can be the reason of this problem? Can you please check the my input and output files?

I tried quite a few, but I did not resolve the problem. if you can help me about this problem, I will be very happy.

best regards

Adem Akpınar
    Phd Students
    Karadeniz Technical University
    Civil Engineering Department

Lecturer Adem Akpınar
    Gümüşhane University
    Faculty of Engineering
    Civil Engineering Department
    29100 Gümüşhane / Turkey
    ademakpinar@hotmail.com
    aakpinar@ktu.edu.tr

Russian State Hydrometeorological University/St.Petersburg/Russia
    Thanks
    Hello! I need some help with SWAN...

I've successfully compiled and built the model, but now I have some problems with the grid input from the file with the grid points' coordinates. Unfortunatelly, It is not clear from the Users Manual how exactly the input file should look like (its lay-out).

As It is mentioned in the Manual for the command READgrid COORdinates: These co-ordinates must be read from a file as a vector (x -coordinate, y -coordinate of each single grid point). Does It mean that the lay-out should be as follows:
    lon1 lat1
    lon2 lat2
    lon3 lat3
    for every grid point (just like as I did), or the file should have the following structure:
    lon1 lon2 lon3.....
    lat1 lat2 lat3....
    ?

Currently I use the first one, but during the SWAN check It prints errors messages about wrong angles <0 and >180 between grid lines. But I know that the grid itself is OK (I use it in another model and It works fine). Then may be the problem is in the incorrect file structure? Those of you who use SWAN with curvilinear grid in spherical coordinates, could you please sugest anything?

Here is part of my SWAN command file for example:

COORDINATES SPHERICAL CCM
    CGRID CURVILINEAR 349 181 CIRCLE 36 0.04 1.0
    READGRID COORDINATES 1 'gridcoordsNB.dat' 4 0 0 FREE
    INPGRID BOTTOM CURVILINEAR 0 0 349 181 EXCEPTION 1.00000E+00
    READINP BOTTOM 1 'depthNB.dat' 4 0 0 0 FREE

(my grid has 350x182 grid points, so 349 and 181 are used as it is said in Manual: this value is one less than the number of grid points in this direction). So It looks like correct values... I guess..

Thanks in advance
    s.m.

Russian State Hydrometeorological University/St.Petersburg/Russia
    Thanks
    Well, I've found out that the answer for my previous question is the file structure:
    on1 lon2 lon3.....
    lat1 lat2 lat3....

But another problem has arised. When I use the curvi-linear grid and want to use wind as a model input, should the wind vector components in the input file be along the lines of the curvilinear grid or along the geografical axes (East and North)?

In the SWAN manual for INPGRID command it is pointed that:
    In case of a curvi-linear grid (option CURVILINEAR in the INPGRID command) the current and wind vectors are defined with the x- and y-component of the current or wind vector with respect to the x-axis of the problem coordinate system
    but for READGRID command:
    recti-linear (curvi-linear) input grid: with this option the user indicates that the x. and y.component (dzeta and eta.component) are to be read from one and the same file (with one READINP command). With this option SWAN reads first all x.components (dzeta components), and then all y.components (eta.components) (see below). The first component (x. or dzeta.component) is always eastward oriented and the second one (y. or eta.component) is always northwise oriented. The components dzeta and eta are taken along the directions of the grid lines of the curvi-linear grid!
    So, where is the truth?) Along the x-axis of the problem coordinate system or along the directions of the grid lines of the curvi-linear grid? Because the model curvilinear grid lines dont coincide with the geographical grid. In other words: should the wind vector components in the input file for SWAN be already modified due to the rotation of the curvilinear model grid? Or they [components] should have initial geographical orientation (Eastward component and Northward component)?

Thanks
    Dear all,

I am very new to SWAN, or to any other numerical modeling. I would like to ask some help from you. I already compiled and installed the swan,and can run some test cases already. I'm ready to run my own input files, however, it will be much better if i have some references to compare with. I would like to come up with a 2D wave height distribution of a 1200m x 800m area (nearshore). Could anyone kindly send me an example input file? Thank you very much in advance!

Des Maano
    University of Tokyo