I'm trying to plot a matrix of measured pelagic variables on a graph of significant waveheight vs mean period. The observational matrix is "spotty", so we've developed a "smoothing" routine to interpolate/extrapolate to unobserved portions of the matrix.
My question is: What are appropriate limits for real waves on the matrix? I've excluded the portion for H/L > 1/7, where waves will break, but how should we limit the long period portions for both large & small waveheights? It's clear from observational experience that such limits exist - small long waves don't occur and big waves are limited to a specific range of wavelengths. I think it's basically a question of climatology, but I'm unsure how to justify the areas to exclude based on the climatological spectra I've found. I guess what I need is a percentage of occurrence of significant waveheight vs period so I can justify the exclusion areas. Seems like that must exist, but where? As with most ocean wave issues, this seems straightforward, but . . . ? Suggestions willbe appreciated!