PDA

View Full Version : The Earth’s Variable Rotation DATA

Fish
7th May 2005, 10:25 AM
I need The Earth’s Variable Rotation DATA!
Please help.

tookitook
11th May 2005, 11:40 AM
Try http://www.iers.org - The International Earth Rotation Service, they have a lot of such information, and links to the data sets.

rocksea
11th May 2005, 11:58 AM
Hi Fish, I am curious to know for what purpose you use the earth's
variable rotation data? Will you kindly enlighten us with the details..
Also, how is the data collected??

Fish
11th May 2005, 12:34 PM
As I know, this data represents difference between average speed of rotation and measured value of speed.
Some authors (for example L.Klyashtorin, N.Sidorenkov) write that this index have a very big correlation with fish catch (pilchard, mackerel).
So, in my research I’d like to use this index for determine relation with fish catches in north-west Pacific Ocean.

rocksea
11th May 2005, 12:46 PM
wow! thank you, that must be something significant if there is a relationship.
how does the earth's rotation vary? how much variation is significant?
do you have any idea how it is affecting the fish?
(i know it is already affecting one Fish here ;) )

Koldunov Aleksey
11th May 2005, 01:45 PM
Actually, I ask this question. But now I remember my password.

Now some words about relations between catches and this index. There is no agreement why the Earth rotates unequally. Many scientists assure that this connected with the global atmospheric process (irregularity of wind circulation etc.). Thus it is connected with the fish population too, because it is widely known that atmospheric and oceanic circulations have a very big relation.

Koldunov Aleksey
16th May 2005, 12:54 AM
Try http://www.iers.org - The International Earth Rotation Service, they have a lot of such information, and links to the data sets.

Thank you. I understand what I want at last. This site is very involved but there you can take information. There are two main indices of rotation as I understood: LOD and omega (w). LOD – it is the difference between reference of day and measured one. Omega (w) – is the same but instead the length of a day we have an angular velocity of the earth (in picoradians/s). :thumbsup:

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==